September 28, 2016

Work & Play Wed. AND Paint Party Friday!!!

I am re-posting my Wednesday Post to link up with Paint Party Friday!

I almost have my Warrior Spirit "Grandmother" done.
I love painting on cardboard, however
too much water can really ruin the cardboard
and the painting.
It got to where I was only pushing color around,
each time I tried to change or add color.
Even tho' the painting would be dry,
it was already saturated.
So here she is now and maybe forever:

The best part of corrugated cardboard is the edges.
The Distress Ink can puddle in the ridges and create
some really cool colors.

I'm wondering if I can recreate this type of ridges with
molding paste on canvas. Only one way to find out.

I have a canvas my oldest son bought.
It is for an abstract he wants for his house.

I asked him to pick out a couple base colors.
He closed his eyes as he reached into my drawer of paints. 

He dug around and mixed them up. Then he picked two:

The two colors he picked out are:
Blick Acrylic Cadmium Yellow
&
Amsterdam Acrylic Naphthol (?) Red Medium, Ugh.
So happy there is also a drawer full of acrylics. 
I think it will be good for me to (hopefully)
let go and just play!

I really miss the days I first discovered
Mixed Media painting.
It was fun, there were no rules,
I would crank up the music and just dance
while painting.
I was amazed at the outcomes of 
colorful beauty that came thru me.

I know the next few years were hard.

Did that joy and creativity go away
as the pain became worse,
and depression and anxiety set in?

Did the "if you don't use it, you'll loose it" happen?

Did taking classes and learning new techniques
change something inside?

Did I loose the trust of my inner muse?

I WANT that free spirited, fun, wild, creative painter
to come out again.

To me, that is true painting;
using mediums that were not suppose to be used together
breaking all the "rules" and not following instructions,
being the REBEL.
That is ME, or at least it was. 

As I type this, it is coming from my soul,
with no planning or editing.
I believe I have to let this out
and not let the pain win.

Time to try and see what happens.
Maybe this large blank canvas is the chance
I need to break free from the chains
of pain and depression.
I know I can do this!

Thank you if you made it this far on today's post.
Thank you for letting me share a part of me.
Thank you for your comments,
your wonderful, beautiful spirits,
some that may be sharing this path with me.
Blessings to all of you.

Big hugs, Rasz!

19 comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

I love the pretty colors of the edges, too. They look like you captured the rainbow. I hope you show us what it looks like on canvas.

We all need long days of play and no work. ;-D

Magic Love Crow said...

Dance my friend! Be free! You can do it! Your girl is wonderful! I like the edges too! I can't wait to see your son's painting! Big Hugs!

505whimsygirl said...

Wow - I love your painting. I can see how you'd like to replicate the edges of the cardboard - great colors melding into eachother, becoming something of a surprise.

Believe me, I know how the doubt and depression can raise it's ugly head. Illness is tough and if you look fine most people don't realize what's gong on. You'll get unstuck and find your way. I think we all expand our knowledge when we try new things and that doesn't always mean we are getting further from our "true" self. We are expanding our "true" self. Does that make sense?

Experimentation is a good thing.

Hugs,
Kay

Valerie-Jael said...

Love the cardboard piece, the colours are gorgeous. Just playing around, experimenting and having fun are for me always the best things. Just have fun and enjoy yourself. Happy weekend, hugs, Valerie

minnemie said...

Oh yes the corrugated cardboard allows for such interesting effects! Love it!

Lisa Isabella Russo said...

Your piece is wonderful, she has such a direct yet very pleasing gaze. The effects you've achieved are fun. I am looking forward to seeing what you do with your new piece. I think going with what we're feeling is important and I can tell you are true to you.

Lynn Cohen said...

Fun substrate and wonderful outcome. Love the journey.

Faye said...

Love your work on the corrugated paper. Looks like fun.

My name is Erika. said...

Those blue eyes on your painting are amazing. I love that face. Beautiful work.

June Walker said...

I love the effects on the corrugated cardboard! I understand your feeling about 'loss' of freedom in making art...try having 2 arts...the type you do to display and the art you do for freedom and fun. Keep them separate for a while!

Giggles said...

First of all thanks for sharing your soul. I know that can be difficult!! Lovely painting. I know you will free yourself up and just enjoy painting for your son. I know there will be so much love in it! Yellow is a very current colour right now and that red is gorgeous too! The kids have just repainted a few pieces of our furniture in that yellow and I will show it eventually. It looks amazing...and I pretty much came up with the idea of yellow just as your son did!! I think you will enjoy Silkes post this week... It might help you with using your intuition to paint again!! All the best! I know it will be beautiful!

Hugs Giggles

Granny Annie said...

Lots of good work and good ideas here. I have saved many pieces of cardboard but can't bring myself to try anything...yet. Can't wait to see the painting for your son.

Nicole Beadwright Campanella said...

First of all you know how much I love this face with the blue lips. That is your spirit and breaking the rules. Your enthusiasm and encouragement to me shows me that you have a spirit that is full. Your mind is rich with art. I agree something changes when I learn the "rules" or the "proper" technique. Bah hum bug throw them out. Create with the beauty and brilliance that is YOU. I will be waiting to see. Hugs N.

carol l mckenna said...

The Muse is so fickle sometime ~ she will return and you will be happily creating with joy ~ lovely portrait ~ very creative ~

Wishing you a Happy Weekend ~ ^_^

Silke Powers said...

Dear Rasz! Thank you so much for visiting my blog post and your wonderful comment!

How fitting that your son chose those colors as you are trying to overcoming pain, anxiety and depression! Yellow is so hopeful and filled with sunshine, joy, and energy. And red - such a color of personal power, of movement and passion. It couldn't have been a more perfect choice as you are seeking to find your inner voice again and let it express itself on canvas!

Your art is beautiful just like your spirit!

xoxo Silke

dkatiepowellart.me said...

Rasz that is a theme. I've been feeling it too and oddly, a friend sent me this site for the new moon: http://theurbanhowl.com/2016/09/29/new-moon-in-libra-laura-larriva/

Mona Pendleton said...

Oh so pretty! Love you fabulous girl on the corrugated cardboard! Thanks for the inspiration! Happy PPF :)

NatashaMay said...

Looks like you'll be having fun arting. :) To answer you question on my blog post, I sadly don't have instagram. I know, I'm a late bloomer. :) I'll get to it eventually.

shedreamsofthesea said...

I love your girl and those blue lips, I just bought a lipstick that color! I think playing and experimenting is the best way to create art, I was always afraid to take classes for the reasons you said. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

If you like something you see, you can Pin It to Pinterest. Just Hover over the picture and click
the "Pin it" icon in the left upper corner. Thank you!

Please know that anything on this blog is Protected by Copyright. As artists, we respect each other and do not copy or use someone else's work without giving full credit to the artist. Please be respectful of this here at Rasz Art Designs and at other artist sites.