July 28, 2014

being a travelling artist...

I have not had a permanent home in several years now, since I became too disabled to work. It's been a struggle and I feel so blessed to have my family, extended family, and all my blogging friends helping and encouraging me along the way.

It's easy to throw clothes and essentials into a duffel bag,
I'm pretty much a pro at that.

My art supplies are a little more difficult.
I was constantly setting up and taking down art spaces.
It became more difficult each time.
I had to find a better way...

My "Art Base Camp" is at my son's in the spare room/office.
This is where I store canvases, acrylics, and all my paper stash.
When I go somewhere else for a week or so, I have
"Traveling Bags"...

Since I love drawing, colored pens and pencils and my art journal, it was essential to always have them with me.

Here is my pencil/pen/journal bag.
Everything fits quite nicely!

Pencil side:
Pencils, scissors, journal, pencil sharpeners and erasers.

Ink side:
Sharpie markers, micron markers, fabric markers, eye glasses and somewhere in the bag is usually my cell phone charger too!

Next is my watercolors.
They travel well and go perfect to add color to my drawings:
I picked up this cute leather bag at the thrift store for $2.00!

Look what it can hold:
 and more...

Amazing, right?

Always with me is this little dish that serves a lot of purposes but mainly reminds me to find inspiration:

I almost forgot the most important item:

This is a strong, lightweight, plastic folding table my son bought at WalMart for me!

All of this is perfect to carry around and provides enough mediums to keep me busy.

Have a Magnificent Monday and a great week!

6 comments:

Miss Val's Creations said...

How adventurous to move often! I imagine that adds to your inspiration. That $2 thrift bag was a great find!

Belinda said...

I think you might have solved my bag lady syndrome. My husband always teases me about buying so many bags. I buy the cute ones each holiday at Barnes and Noble, I buy them whenever I see a pretty color. Well now, I am inspired by your travel bags to put mine to use. I just recently bought a lot of watercolor supplies and am definitely going to put them all in a bag. That way I can pick it up and go. I like the portable idea. Might make it easier to find my stuff so I can have more doing time. I have that folding table too and love it. I use it often.
I like the flea market find you scored. If I was with you, I would have picked it up too. (Yup, that's the "bag lady" talking.) Thanks for the visit to my blog. You keep on doing because you inspire us all.
hugs,
Belinda

Craftymoose Crafts said...

It's wonderful to see you blogging again! Your travel bags look well packed with goodies to keep you artistically busy. I really like the Mandela in you last post, and all the zentangles you have been doing. Thanks for stopping by to say hi!

Magic Love Crow said...

You rock girl! This is so clever of you! Everything so nice and organized! I don't know if I could do that? LOL! Robin, I hope one day, you have a home of your own, but I am so happy you have family, friends and much love around you! Always sending you many blessings! xoxoxo

Lisa Isabella Russo said...

You have really put together and incredible travelling kit! I very much hope at some point that you have a permanent space, but you have adapted so beautifully to travelling as an artist!

Gloria said...

Robin you are most definitely blessed with your family and friends PLUS your awesome artistic talents and a positive spirit!

I've moved too many times and have that rootless feeling, but your support system sounds wonderful.

Keeping positive thoughts for you.

If you like something you see, you can Pin It to Pinterest. Just Hover over the picture and click
the "Pin it" icon in the left upper corner. Thank you!

Please know that anything on this blog is Protected by Copyright. As artists, we respect each other and do not copy or use someone else's work without giving full credit to the artist. Please be respectful of this here at Rasz Art Designs and at other artist sites.