December 26, 2013

christmas lessons 2013...

This was a difficult Christmas for me.
With all the materialistic images of what "Christmas" is suppose to be about, it makes it that much harder for a lot of people who are really struggling this year, like me.

There was no tree, no lights, no presents for everyone piled up awaiting the moment everyone would come over. The joy of seeing the wrapping paper flying while the smell of Christmas breakfast filled the house.

No, this year was much different.
I had no presents for anyone and the closer Christmas got, I couldn't even muster enough creativity to make anything.

Except one thing.
Every year I make all kinds of fudge and this year my son and his step-daughter wanted to learn how.

So with a mini two burner electric stove, we all made fudge!

half plain and half coconut fudge:
 white and chocolate peppermint fudge:
 half Reese's peanut butter chip
 half Heath bar chip fudge:

So a new tradition gets passed on.

We had our Christmas Breakfast at my oldest son's house. I made regular and gluten free bacon cheddar drop biscuits while he made a ham and egg scramble from just laid eggs out of the chicken coup! 

I got a winter coat from my youngest that I REALLY needed AND his girlfriend gave me a gift certificate for a spa day! She said I needed a day of pampering. Isn't that sweet?

Then my oldest son's girlfriend gave me a clip on light for my art table so I can see what I am making, uh-oh:)

The best presents were to have my boys, their girlfriends, the precious 5 year old princess, my Beautiful Baby Girl and My Sissy in my life!

What I learned this Christmas:
No amount of money, presents, or lights on the tree can replace the gift of true love of the people in my life. 

I learned to receive without having to give, and be okay with that.

I learned that the people around me love me for who I am, not what I can do or give.

And even though I feel like a mess, others see the love and beauty in me.

It was an awesome Christmas!

How was your Holiday?
I'd love to hear all about it. 

5 comments:

Magic Love Crow said...

Robin, you had the best Christmas ever! You experienced the true meaning of Christmas! This post is so touching! I could see you all making fudge together! So special! How was my Christmas? Have you been to my blog? Power outage! Like you, I experienced a great Christmas, like no other! (will e-mail soon!)
Big Hugs ;o)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I remember when I quit my long time job to move to another city to attend graduate school. I had always been the giver, the gifter, the person who was NOT on the receiving end. But things changed so quickly once I started grad school. I had to LEARN how to receive. It was the hardest thing I ever did, and it took several years for it to sink in that people genuinely cared, or they wouldn't be there for me.

I'm so glad you learned that lesson this year. I applaud you and your fortitude, after all you have been through. It doesn't take a tree, lights, or large packages to make Christmas. All it takes is being surrounded by those you love and who love and respect you. Your Christmas was far better (and tastier, I might add) than most people can imagine. What a blessing you are, dear. I think everyone should read this post!!

Gloria said...

You are blessed with love and that's the most important thing. Thanks for sharing your day, reading the post made me misty eyed. Hugs to you, Robin! Merry Christmas and I hope 2014 will be all that you need and desire.

The fudge looked delish!

Darnell J Knauss said...

That was really beautiful, Robin! I am sorry that you have been through so much that's been difficult, especially the scary health issues. I hope that next year is lighter, healthier, and happier for you ... oh, and always creative, of course! Big hugs, Darnell

P.S. You really did "give," you know. You passed on the gift of those delicious fudge recipes!! That's a gift that will live on for generations, way more precious and timeless than any material item that will wear out!

Kyra Wilson said...

I'm glad you still had a really good Christmas, it all sounded lovely!

If you like something you see, you can Pin It to Pinterest. Just Hover over the picture and click
the "Pin it" icon in the left upper corner. Thank you!

Please know that anything on this blog is Protected by Copyright. As artists, we respect each other and do not copy or use someone else's work without giving full credit to the artist. Please be respectful of this here at Rasz Art Designs and at other artist sites.