June 28, 2012

playing with pencils...


I have mainly been doing only pencil and ink art lately as I have not had access or a place for my paints and other stuff.

I started off using a regular pencil...you know, the #2 lead pencils to start my drawings. They work okay but as all of us find out, there is always something better.
So I traded in my #2 and got this pretty Primsacolor Turquoise 2262 (375) HB. I have no idea what any of that means but it was a step up and I really liked the color of the pencil :)

Then there was the problem with going over my pencil drawings with ink. I had to erase my pencil lines and was having a hard time erasing the lines with my #2 pencil eraser. Back to the local news stand/art supply.store. I purchased one of those square beige-y colored erasers and that worked a little better but not much.

I was then told that I need a different pencil. Something about the lead. Now I really should have taken notes if I planned on sharing this info but I was just too excited to find something that was going to make drawing "better". The saleslady failed to mention it would not IMPROVE my drawing however.
So here is my new pencil that I love!

This pencil is a 19 Derwent Graphic 6B, and again I have no idea what that means however I like and it doesn't seem to leave scratches in the paper once its erased.

I was also told to start using this gummy grey eraser. It was a skinny rectangle shaped eraser that felt a little soft in the package. I gave it a try and soon found that not only did it erase great, it morphed into what reminded me of Silly Putty.

As for the colored pencils I have been using for coloring in the drawings after outlining them in ink, I originally started with Crayola colored pencils...I can hear you laughing probably as hard as I was when I bought them at WalMart. I soon got some Prismacolor wood colored pencils to add to my collection. 

Then I found wood-less colored pencils and fell in love. 

No more sharpening with the lead breaking and shading is amazing.

I will post the drawing above in a couple days once I have completed her.

PLEASE leave any tips, tricks, advice, critiquing or anything else you know about pencils.
I would love to hear your experiences.

Now something really exciting I want to share!
I entered several of my paintings and drawings into our local El Dorado Art Council exhibit.
The judging was done earlier this week and I found out that TWO of my paintings made it in!
I am so excited, not just because my artwork was chosen...I gathered up my courage at one of the lowest points in my life and entered!
I am going to the ArtSpace today to take pictures and will post them tomorrow.

I also will be out visiting all my blogger friends very soon! I can't wait to see what everyone is up to. Its amazing how much can happen in just a few short months.

Have a wonderful day! 

3 comments:

Heather Henry said...

OH Robin, how fun and exciting for you!!! Not only new art supplies, which is always tremendously fun, but hooray for the art show. I am sooo happy for you and the courage it took for you to go do that. I definitely know and understand how hard that is and it is a fantastic stepping stone. A leap of faith. Hooray!!! I wish I was there to hug you and go see your art with you. But I will just have to send you spirit hugs and wait to see the pics that you post. So thrilling. Hope all is well and I look forward to seeing your new piece all finished. You've definitely created your own unique style, which is very whimsy and lovely and heartfelt.
Blessings to you, dear friend!
:)

Magic Love Crow said...

I am so happy that two of your paintings were picked! Doing my happy dance for you! I am anxious to see this drawing finished! The last pencil you ended up buying is the kind I use ;o) Good choice ;o) Keep on going girl! You are doing great!

~Rasz~ said...

Hi Heather! Yes I am still pinching myself and I was so nervous to even have anyone really look and "judge" my art! Thank you for the hugs and great compliments! You are such a wonderful friend and someday we will be having coffee, sharing art and hugs!!!!!

Hi Stacy! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I'm doing my Crow Hop Happy Dance! Glad I finally got a new pencil. What a difference it makes for erasing...since I seem to do that a lot, haha! Your encouragement and friendship are so precious to me! And yes, gonna keep on going even if its baby steps one day at a time! Big hugs to you my friend!

If you like something you see, you can Pin It to Pinterest. Just Hover over the picture and click
the "Pin it" icon in the left upper corner. Thank you!

Please know that anything on this blog is Protected by Copyright. As artists, we respect each other and do not copy or use someone else's work without giving full credit to the artist. Please be respectful of this here at Rasz Art Designs and at other artist sites.