November 05, 2011

been away for a bit...

I've really missed blogging and visiting all my blogging friends. It would be great to tell you that I have been on vacation or at some fun art retreat. The truth is that I have been spending lots of time away from home with my best friend whose 21 year old son has been battling cancer. He has a brain tumor caused by a rare and hard to treat cancer. Even though the chemotherapy and radiation over the past year have killed some of the tumor, the cancer is still there and has spread to some bone and sinus areas. In the past four weeks he has undergone two extensive brain surgeries. 

So I have either been with my best friend and her family or at home with my family appreciating how precious each and every moment is that we have with our loved ones. 

Yesterday I made beef stew and then last night we sat up and watched Pirate Radio with my youngest son. It's been a while since we just sat and watched a movie together.

A while back, my oldest son had asked me for one of the paintings I had done for my Total Alignment workshop. It was actually the one I liked the least. But he liked it and wanted it so today I decided to frame it for him. 

I found an old framed art poster at the thrift store that was 18"x24", the same size as the painting and decided I could fix up the frame to make it work:

I sanded the frame down then used my old favorite stain.

It turned out really nice. 
Lots of brown, red and almost black tones appearing in the wood grain.
A little sealer and the "new" frame was just perfect.

After cleaning up the glass (a lot) I finished framing the picture for my son.
It's a dreary, rainy day and the lighting was not too good, however it turned out so much better than this photo.

I took it over to my son's house and he and his girlfriend hung it up. Then we hung a mirror and two other pictures he had. It was a wonderful family moment that really brightened my spirits.

It's amazing the moments I have taken for granted. These past few weeks have really showed me how blessed I am and how precious and fragile life really is.

I hope this weekend all of you can find a simple way to just stop and enjoy the people you have in your life.

I would also like to ask for prayers for Jay, we call him Jaybird since he was named after his dad Jay. Jaybird has a 2 year old little boy, one sister and three brothers. His mom has been a rock through all of this and believes that all the prayers that have been lifted up for her son has helped not only her son fighting his illness, but also given strength to her and her family.

Thank you and may you have a blessed weekend.

5 comments:

Diane said...

Rasz--I'm so sorry to hear this--what a terrible disease cancer can be. My prayers are with you friend's son and their family. And yes, you're right--be thankful for life and never take it for granted.
Your painting is beautiful!

505whimsygirl said...

Sorry to hear about your friend's son. I'm sure you helped her and her family in ways you'll never know.

The painting is just beautiful and I can see why your son loves it so much. It has a special forever home with him and what a great reminder that family is precious. I have things that my mother made and treasure them even more since her passing. It's like a little piece of heaven that she created just for me.

Hugs to you and yours.

Magic Love Crow said...

Rasz! I am so sorry! Your friend's son is in my prayers and I will light a candle for him too! Life is so precious and we should cherish every moment! I love the way your painting turned out in the frame! Fantastic! Big Hugs!!!

Sandra said...

Robin,I will be praying for your friend's son and you as well. You are such a dear person - I hope you know how much joy and happiness you bring me and all of your readers. Thank you for sharing your story and artwork. The painting is beautiful just like you.
God bless and tons of hugs! ~ Sandra

~Rasz~ said...

Thank you all so much for your prayers and beautiful words. The love and support I feel here blogging really helps keep my spirits lifted! You are all so wonderful!

If you like something you see, you can Pin It to Pinterest. Just Hover over the picture and click
the "Pin it" icon in the left upper corner. Thank you!

Please know that anything on this blog is Protected by Copyright. As artists, we respect each other and do not copy or use someone else's work without giving full credit to the artist. Please be respectful of this here at Rasz Art Designs and at other artist sites.