August 06, 2011

art space done...time to create...

Here it is! My new space for creating!


The left side shelf is great for storing paper and WIPs.
The red pull out box holds my acrylics. I dabbed a bit of paint on the tops to easily find the color I need.
The blue box holds everything I use for ATCs and little paper collages.

 
To save space, I use the back of the storage easel to hold my paper towel roll, watercolor pallet and the silverware drawer divider that I converted for my paint pens, colored crayons & colored watercolor pencils.

My new birdie friend needed a job, so she's gonna hold little gems for me!

I used one of my first collage attempts (that I totally over-painted and really messed up) as my trash can.
It's nestled under the table now. Nothing boo-boo'd goes to waste!

Remember the boxes in the empty room?
These boxes are actually mine, full of fabric & other sewing crafty things.
I found places to store the smaller boxes however I was out of room for the two bigger boxes.

I knew just what to do from a previous experience:
Several years ago my son was in Iraq. Towards the end of his tour, whenever he could get access to a computer, he was buying specialty car parts (online) to fix-up his car when he returned. 
Soon my little apartment was getting overrun with boxes full of car parts, including a car body ground kit! I had no storage space so I got creative and turned those boxes into usable, attractive "furniture" until he returned home.

I used the same idea to hide the two large storage boxes that are full of fabric. 
First, have to get something that will cover-up the writing.
I knew this old pillowcase that matches nothing would come in handy someday.

Then I used a sheer curtain with a lace edge to cover the body.
I only had to tape the curtain in several places to secure it in place.

The outside is looking good.
Now to cover the top & sides.
I used two valances that matched the curtain to cover the top and sides.

Wow, the colors from the pillowcase showing through the cream sheer fabric of the curtain actually match the color of the room!
I am so glad I saved that lone pillowcase.
Add a few accents and VIOLA! A cute table. 
I can easily get into the boxes for fabric when needed.

I still have to turn the twin bed into a sitting area.
I would also like to add some more decorations/furnishings.

Time to go get messy in my new wonderfully creative space!

Please share any "creating space" stories you have.

Hope your weekend is starting off great!

8 comments:

li said...

The table really is lovely, and I can't get over how awesome the floor treatment looks!

Sandra said...

How wonderful! Your floor treatment looks so lovely, and great idea for how to use boxes in your Art space. :-)

Diane said...

Wow what a transformation, and very good tips that you share here. I moved into my larger area, and it's amazing how much easier it is to just make art and know where everything is--great job!

tina said...

You are tres clever my friend! LOVE the new space, can't wait to see the wonders that come out! YAY! oh---- I too am crazy about the floor, really great!

~Rasz~ said...

Thank you SO MUCH for the complements. I LOVE my new space and am enjoying all the time I can spend there.It's still a WIP but isn't everything really?

The floor is holding up well so far. I want to make another one already and I have some new ideas for it.

Terri Morse said...

Wow! You did such a splendid job! I am so happy to see that you have completed your creative space. It must feel absolutely wonderful. The room alone has such character (love the windows) and you've used such amazing inventiveness in designing your space. I love the floor mat. I would have never thought to use corrugated cardboard for it, but it works beautifully. I love the way you've painted it. The covering for your boxes looks so pretty. I just know you're going to have many happy hours in your new space. Hugs, Terri

~Rasz~ said...

Hi Terri! Thank you. I love it. The room does have character and a wonderful feel to it. I really am enjoying the space. I can get lost playing in there.

I really enjoy creating/designing spaces from anything on hand instead of having to buy new things. The cardboard floor covering was so much fun to make.

Ayala Art said...

I love what you did to your Art Place!!! Great ideas!

If you like something you see, you can Pin It to Pinterest. Just Hover over the picture and click
the "Pin it" icon in the left upper corner. Thank you!

Please know that anything on this blog is Protected by Copyright. As artists, we respect each other and do not copy or use someone else's work without giving full credit to the artist. Please be respectful of this here at Rasz Art Designs and at other artist sites.