July 12, 2011

upcycled sweater to skirt, site for blogging artists and artistic inspiration...


Good Morning! Wishing you a most Happy Tuesday!

So...I had this thin sweater top. IT's actually purple and black however my camera decided throughout many pictures that it was more blue than purple. 

I bought this top several years ago. I thought it was cute and I could wear it with leggings. It is made from a very thin, inexpensive, sweater-type blend material. A little too cool for winter and a little too warm for summer. Since the bottom of the top has a tighter weave, it "poofs" right around my hips, tummy, bottom area making me look a little pregnant when I am wearing it and the horizontal stripes did not help either. My solution was to just put it back in my closet until I figured out something to do with it.

I pulled out this top the other day and thought I would either make it in to something else or I needed to send it to our local thrift store. The neckline has potential for anther top and I saw a skirt when I turned the top upside down.

Skirt it is! I was not sure that this fabric would even hold up if I cut it, let alone tried sewing it with my serger. I cut it a couple stripes below the neckline and ran the raw edge through my serger. It came out really cool. The serged edge looked lacey and it left an edge similar to a rolled hem look, except with serger loops hanging off the edge. The knit black bottom of the top became the waistband of the skirt!

what I learned from this upcylced project:
1. turn items upside down to get another perspective
2. cheap knit/sweater type material + serger = interesting rippled raw edge
(I'll post if this edge does not hold up)

Here's the finished skirt. I took this picture in a mirror and it did not come out that good but you can get the idea:

So in about 20 minutes, I created this cute little skirt that looks great with a black tank top! 
I kept the the neckline for something else and thought of making some fabric flowers with the leftover striped material. 

Calling all blogging artists:
There is a new blog dedicated to all kinds of artists. It seems to be a place where artists can list their blogs under up to three art categories! It's called artsee bloggers. A place to connect and find other art blogs. What a great idea!
http://www.artseebloggers.com/
and....
Today's Shout-Out:

Today I want to share Amanda Trought's website Inspiration, Art & Creativity. Amanda is an inspirational, creative mixed media artist. She is currently doing 365 Days of Colour-Flower of the Day . She started the 365 days on June 1st and posts a beautiful picture of  a flower that she has either photographed or painted. Within her daily posts she adds several inspirational quotes or messages. Amanda's blog really motivates me. She is a beautiful, inspiring woman. 

~Have a great day~ 

5 comments:

li said...

Brilliant :) I would never have thought to turn any item of clothing upside down, or try and figure out something else to do with it. I need to go look over my closet!

ArtMuseDog and Carol said...

You are just so creative ~ I love to turn my paintings upside down to see where I go next and thanks for the link to yet another site for artists ~ hugs and namaste, artmusedog (carol)

tina said...

Really cute skirt! Tres chic and uber clever! :)

Amanda Trought said...

This is a great idea, thanks for the shout out! I think I'll take a look around and see what can be upcycled...:) I have already been using my son's old school uniform trousers as canvas, they are surprisingly versatile. Stay blessed.!

~Rasz~ said...

This really was a fun and fast little project! What a great idea Amanda! I have lots of denim from my boy's outgrown jeans. I wonder if that would work?

If you like something you see, you can Pin It to Pinterest. Just Hover over the picture and click
the "Pin it" icon in the left upper corner. Thank you!

Please know that anything on this blog is Protected by Copyright. As artists, we respect each other and do not copy or use someone else's work without giving full credit to the artist. Please be respectful of this here at Rasz Art Designs and at other artist sites.