July 13, 2011

trying out a new gel medium...

ATC: altered paper collage using  Liquitex Gloss Gel Medium.
this has a great 3D appearance/depth to it.
When I started playing with mixed media art about 6 months ago, I was using Mod Podge for gluing and paper collage. Mod Podge worked okay although my paper would buckle most of the time. I just attributed that to operator error.

Then I was told about Golden Soft Gel Medium so I gave it a try. The Golden worked better, didn't ripple my paper as much and had a nice gloss when dried.. 

On my last trip to Michaels they were out of Golden so the sales girl told me about Liquitex Gloss Gel Medium. Since it really is a trip (over 60 miles round trip) to get to Michaels, or any other large art store, I bought the Liquitex to see how it worked. 
ATC: altered paper, acrylic paint, paper, ink
 The Liquitex is thick and leaves a very glossy shine. It works great, dries pretty quick and holds well. I also noticed that the Liquitex brought more depth to each collage I did, maybe because of the thickness or glossiness? I really like the finished look of my projects with the Liquitex.
The only negative thing I can say about it is that cleanup is a little harder. I have to use Pink Soap on my brushes and that works well. I use shampoo to get it off my hands, don't know why but shampoo works much better than soap to remove paint and goop. 
ATC: this is my favorite. i used paper, acrylic, watercolor and ink.
the picture is not very good and does not show the depth
or detail of the layers. the gloss brings out the colors great.
What is your favorite gel medium and why. I am trying to find the right one for me.

Shout-Out for the day!
Today's Shout-Out goes to Zentangles by Shelly Beauch. She actually finished her dream of a Zentangle a day for an entire year! 
If you like Zentangle art, you'll like Shelly's creations. She also has a beautiful poem on her blog that I love to read.

Hope you are making it a Wonderful Wednesday!

6 comments:

Terri Morse said...

Hi Rasz! I found your blog through Brave Girls. Your art looks fabulous. I started using Liquitex products, and I adore them. I think the effects are better. The matte medium works like a dream for image transfers onto fabric. I also invested in some of their heavy body acrylic paints, and they are top notch. The pigments are incredibly rich. Your blog is lovely and I see you started in March. I had my two year blogiversary in March. Have a great day! Hugs, Terri

Keena said...

I dont paint so I cannot tell you what to try...:( I liked your artwork though...

li said...

Thanks for the hint about shampoo! Can't suggest anything for you though, I'm an art lover but not an artist :))

ArtMuseDog and Carol said...

I like the last one that you did ~ the one you like ~ I also use Collage Pauge and I like it a lot comes in glossy or satin finish ~ depends on what look you are aiming for ~ All of them are great! thanks ^_^

tina said...

Hey! Medium is on my brain today! I also used Mod Podge in the past and have decided their must be something better. My trip to the art supply store was put on hold today so I will report back when I've made a selection. Those folks are brilliant at suggestions, I have hopes that they will turn me onto something fabulous~ HUGS!

~Rasz~ said...

Hi Terri! Your blog is awesome! I think I am going to try some more of the Liquitex products. The more I play with it, the more I really like it. Happy Blogiversary! I guess we will be celebrating together next March!

Hi Keena! Thank you for stopping by and the compliment. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Hi Li! You definitely are an artist. You paint the most amazing pictures with your words. That is a rare craft indeed! Found out shampoo worked when I had all this gunk on my hands that did not wash off with regular soap but came right off when I washed my hair.

Hi Carol! Thanks for the tip on Collage Pauge. I will see if anyone sells that brand around where I live.

Hi Tina! Great minds think alike, right :) Let me know what you choose and how it works for you.

If you like something you see, you can Pin It to Pinterest. Just Hover over the picture and click
the "Pin it" icon in the left upper corner. Thank you!

Please know that anything on this blog is Protected by Copyright. As artists, we respect each other and do not copy or use someone else's work without giving full credit to the artist. Please be respectful of this here at Rasz Art Designs and at other artist sites.