July 21, 2011

save the paper towels from paint cleanup...

When I first started playing with Mod Podge, paper and paint I would save the paper towels I used for painting and cleanup, dry them out, and use them again for collage.

I wondered what would happen if I created a background from one of the "recycled" paper towels. This time I used the Liquitex Gloss Gel Medium and glued the paper towel to a page of  Strathmore 100 lb Vellum Bristol Smooth paper. I really am loving both of these products!

It turned out GREAT! REALLY GREAT! Deep, coarse texture and bright colors! I wish my camera could capture the feel and look of the page. 
Here are a few closeups to give you an idea.
(You can click on the image to see it bigger for a better view, just remember not to close out the page and instead use the back button to get back to this post ):
Now what to do with it. I did not see anything this way:
So I turned it all around until it was upside down from where I started:
Then I saw it! I wanted to use only the same three watercolors that were in the paper towel to bring out the image, which was a challenge for me being new at all this.
It was interesting using watercolors on such a textured, glossy surface. I was unsure if  watercolor paints would even work. I just let the paint flow how it wanted. It worked amazingly well!
Here is what I saw then painted:
Her name is Hummin' Bird Lady

Here's a closer look:
and a little closer:


So now I am off to create more textured backgrounds with all these paper towels I have been saving.

But first, today's Shout-Out!
This Shout-Out goes to a brand new blogger, Sandra over at Alchemy-Art Memories. She is an incredible artist and just started blogging this month!!!! She has also blogged every day this month by doing Traci Bunker's 30 Days of Get Your Art On. What a great way to jump right in to creating and blogging.

If you have a moment, visit Sandra HERE , see all her creativity and welcome her to the wonderful blogging community!

Hope you are having a FABULOUS FRIDAY!

12 comments:

Sandra said...

Rasz, this is wonderful! I will no longer throw my paper towels away - thus the start of my new paint cleanup paper towel collection ;=)

Thanks again for the shout out! Enjoy your weekend!

Arlee Bird said...

Now that's what I call some really great creative recycling.


Lee
Tossing It Out

Diane said...

Thank you so much for this inspiration Rasz--I WILL try this!!

li said...

Your cleverness and ability to see art and beauty in just about everything never ceases to amaze me!

tina said...

As always, I'm VERY impressed. Of course I knew not to throw away, knew this. Did this? Nope. So now I will be a better artiste! :) THANKS, you're awesome!

aimee said...

papertowels are the unsung heroes of art! they are the best! my favorites are liquid watercolors -- they give super bright jello-like colors to the towels. love these!

ArtMuseDog and Carol said...

Wow! Raz~ She is exquisite! Love what you created in exploring ~ Her Spirit came out to you ~ Bravo! ^_^

ArtMuseDog and Carol said...

What is a Shout out? Is it group? or something you started? thanks ~ Carol (artmusedog)

Lauren @ 31diy said...

That is so neat! You created beautiful art out of something that would have gone in a landfill. Kudos! You're definitely an inspiration for thinking outside the box on ways to reuse and recycle. Thanks for sharing! :)

~Rasz~ said...

Hi All! Glad you liked the idea. It really is fun finding ways to recycle stuff, especially colorful stuff. One thing I forgot to mention is that you have to use the good heavy paper towels. I bought a couple rolls of really cheap paper towels and they just fell apart:(

Diane-A "Shout Out" is giving acknowledgement, attention or praise to someone or something (which is usually done in a public venue). Hope that made sense and that it is the correct definition. I have been acknowledging other bloggers, blogs or something I want to share at the end of each of my posts. I am just using the term Shout-Out. I think it would be a great name for a group where people recommend stuff though!

Heather Henry said...

Oh my goodness Robin. This is soooo truly gorgeous. You are so creative. I love the softness and all the yummy texture that you've created, as well as the colors. What a great piece. I hope you will frame it and hang it. It's truly wonderful. I love it!
Hope you are well! Blessings and peace to you!

creatingme said...

This turned out so incredibly well. I am stunned and inspired. I try to use all my leftovers, but you really did! WOW!

If you like something you see, you can Pin It to Pinterest. Just Hover over the picture and click
the "Pin it" icon in the left upper corner. Thank you!

Please know that anything on this blog is Protected by Copyright. As artists, we respect each other and do not copy or use someone else's work without giving full credit to the artist. Please be respectful of this here at Rasz Art Designs and at other artist sites.